Pages

13 January 2011

The Ponies Have FINALLY Moved


My move to Delaware has really not been complete until now.  Teddy and Gretta have remained in Maryland while I searched for a suitable new barn and coordinated their move.  Driving the 2 hours to see them in Taneytown, MD and the 2 hours home was taxing, and the thought of any kind of emergency coming up with them while I was so far away kept my anxiety level high (well, higher than normal). Enough was enough and I was determined to get them up here asap.  I drove almost 200 miles over two weekends to look at 13 barns trying to find a place that my ponies and I could feel comfortable at, and as importantly, one I could afford.  Not knowing the area and having limited horsey contacts made things a bit difficult.  Luckily, Mike’s sister, Laura, was super helpful and had some advice as well as a few suggestions of  some places to check out.  After a lot of thinking and mapping and even a pros/cons list, I ultimately decided on a barn in West Chester, PA.  This wasn’t any barn.  Not only is it relatively affordable, but the people seem great and it is absolutely beautiful.  It is located on a historic estate that served as the site of the Battle at Brandywine during the Revolutionary War.  After some research I found out that the hill the estate is located on was the resting point of British and German soldiers where they took tea time while Washington’s Continental Army formed a defensive line a mile away.  The British Army eventually finished their picnic and overcame the Americans who had to retreat, re-form, and then retreat again.  (Thank you Google for all of your internet wisdom and history lessons.)  Anyway, the estate land is gorgeous and the bank barn from 1790 is a great place for Teddy and Gretta to spend their nights.  Part of me is hoping the family adopts me so I can live there.

After many delays due to weather and my hauler’s (aka my dad’s) schedule, we finally were able to move the horses on January 9th.  I was nervous about the trip 1) because the horses have not been trailered that far before and 2) because I’m always a nervous wreck when it comes to moving them.  Teddy and Gretta loaded and trailered like pros and I even relaxed enough to snap a couple pictures during a quick rest stop (a rest stop that I wish I could blame on anybody else, but was completely at my request).




Are we there yet?
Of course the homemade tackbox had to come along too!


Teddy settled in nicely as soon as he saw food while Gretta was more skeptical and took a bit longer to
adjust.  After I was convinced they would last the night, I left them in their cozy new stalls and promised to be back the next day to check on them.  Over the next few days Gretta went on a hunger strike for some reason, but she is now eating more regularly and seems happy.  At least I think she is happy.  She has returned to her “I could care less about you” sort of attitude and is back to chasing Teddy around the field.  Meanwhile, Teddy is still enjoying every meal and relishes in eating throughout the day.  Obviously, Teddy takes after me :)
Here are some pictures of the new place.
Osbourne Hill Farm
The silo that I worry about side swiping.
Teddy and Gretta's new field
.
Next door neighbors again. Notice Teddy in the background, probably looking for food.
Teddy, still looking for food.

No comments:

Post a Comment